Job Title: Production Maintenance Manager Classification: Exempt
Reports to: Plant Manager____________________ Department: Engineering
The Production Maintenance Manager is responsible for managing the engineering maintenance team in support of all production equipment and facilities for The Post and Courier printing and packaging operations. The position supervises the Engineering Department employees and is responsible for its daily operations. This position will work closely with all production managers to ensure that production equipment is running efficiently and safely. The Production Maintenance Manager ensures all reasonable efforts are being made to make sure equipment issues do not negatively impact production schedules, efficiency or safety. This position ensures all production support facilities are maintained including parts inventories, tools, equipment, workshops and outside services. This position communicates effectively and interacts positively with staff members and other department personnel.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Oversee the maintenance and repairs of all production equipment, building and plant support equipment.
- Manage the scheduling of personnel to ensure proper shift coverage to support production schedule.
- Plan, assign and direct the daily work tasks for the Engineering Department, ensuring all reasonable efforts are being made to make sure equipment issues do not negatively impact production schedules, efficiency or safety.
- Initiate process improvement projects that improve product quality, increase productivity, or enhance environmental or personal safety practices.
- Direct the maintenance of production facilities and coordinate requirements for new equipment, maintenance schedules and personnel training.
- Direct the planning, design, installation, modification and testing of new equipment as well as upgrades and improvements.
- Work with outside equipment vendors to schedule and plan maintenance repairs and upgrades and other projects.
- Coordinate with other departments to schedule maintenance or other projects.
- Serve as Administrator for the CMMS (computerized maintenance management system). Ensure that all preventative and corrective maintenance is properly scheduled and is being performed in a timely manner.
- Identify, implement and maintain methods of data collection that will drive quality improvements in machine operation and tool consumption.
- Order parts, get quotes, write purchase orders and interact with vendors as needed; assist with maintaining the spare parts inventory and shop supplies ensuring all critical production parts are stocked in sufficient quantities.
- Understand and implement all safety requirements as outlined by company policy, OSHA and any applicable safety guidelines. Maintain clean, safe work environments.
- Build and maintain productive and cooperative working relationships with others both internal and external.
- Use technical knowledge and expertise to develop training plans, operating procedures and maintenance procedures for production equipment.
- Apply sound engineering practices towards the completion of repairs or installations.
- Write machine operating instructions and other documentation to support production needs.
- Provide shared support to building operations as directed by the Plant Manager.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements, minimum education level, and experience:
- Associate in Engineering Technology or similar field and/or 10+ years of related mechanical and electrical maintenance experience preferred.
- Minimum of 5+ years management experience in a maintenance related field
- Experience troubleshooting complex electrical mechanical and electronic systems
- Experience with CMMS
- Experience in printing or related industries is a plus
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Engineering knowledge: mechanical, electrical, plumbing, pneumatics and hydraulics.
- Proficient in understanding building support equipment and building schematics; Ability to read and understand electrical and mechanical schematics
- Creative and resourceful problem solver
- Ability to exercise judgment within procedures and practices to determine appropriate action
- Excellent communication both verbally and written across all levels of organization
- Ability to organize and complete multiple tasks/projects at one time; excellent organizational skills
- Ability to work competently independently and as part of a team
- Experience with MS Office a plus
Physical Requirement, Work Environment and Travel:
Regularly required to stand, sit, reach, squat, stoop, kneel, reach, grasp tools, climb ladders, walk, bend twist, and moderate to heavy lifting
While performing the duties of this job, this employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, moving mechanical parts, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and outside weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to occasionally loud.
Local travel is required. In state travel may be required occasionally.